- Introduction and orientation to CORE, discussion of pre-CORE activities.
- Discussion of values, culture, and OKDHS Child Welfare Practice Standards.
- Understanding the importance of good engagement skills; discussion and activities designed to enhance individual engagement skills.
- How to effectively engage clients through genuineness, respect, and empathy.
- Avoiding the misuse of power through the casework method.
- Considering the process of change and CW Specialist tasks in helping families through the process.
- General protocol for investigation/assessment through the process of the Taylor family referral.
- Awareness of content and process issues in interviews.
- Child abuse and neglect as presenting symptoms of family dysfunction and individual, family, and environmental contributors to abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse.
- Medical and physical aspects of child abuse and neglect and when to request medical examination.
Preparing for client interviews; interview stages; interview styles; interview questions and strategies; opportunities to practice.
- Using a genogram to elicit critical information from adults regarding family, history, and underlying causes.
- Discussion of initial CPS process: using the Taylor family referral and initial contact.
Child interviews – special considerations; assessing developmental level; continuum of questions; use of interview guides; interviewer preparation, behavior, and demeanor.
- Completion of initial child interviews with the Taylor children.
- Adult interviewing, complete parent interviews with the Taylor family.
- Present/impending danger is discussed- Safety Plan(s) and Child Safety Meetings.