This session in the All Children–All Families training series expands upon the “Setting the Foundation” training by equipping child welfare professionals with a deeper understanding of common experiences and challenges faced by LGBTQ+ youth and adults in child welfare systems. Proven best practices to ensure positive outcomes and remove any barriers to care are explored and resources will be provided for ongoing learning and planning for practice improvement at both the individual and organizational level.
- Preferred pre-requisite course – CW 5042 – Setting the Foundation: LGBTQ + Inclusion in Child Welfare
- Read Guide Book – LQBTQ Practice Guide Book
Primary Learning Objectives:
- Identify shared values, expectations and mandates as professionals and their connections to LGBTQ+ inclusion.
- Deepen participants’ knowledge of common experiences and challenges faced by LGBTQ+ youth in child welfare systems.
- Understand best practices in the areas of identifying affirming placements, discussing sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression with youth and advocating on behalf of LGBTQ+ youth.
- Deepen participants’ knowledge of common experiences and challenges faced by LGBTQ+ adults in child welfare systems.
- Understand best practices in serving LGBTQ+ adults across service areas including, child protective services, foster care and adoption, family-centered services and permanency planning.
- Identify concrete next steps for ongoing learning and practice improvement for LGBTQ+ youth and adults.
Intended Audience: CWS III, CWS IV, Child Welfare Supervisor, CW Leadership, PFRs