Core is required training for all newly hired Child Welfare Specialists.
Training consists of Pre-Core, Core, and On the Job Training (OJT). Pre-Core occurs mostly in the office, although there is a ½ day of KIDS/Referral Training.
Core currently consists of information that is delivered in the classroom through five modular sessions and in the office, through On the Job Training. A sixth module is required for some specialists and is determined by job assignment (i.e. Permanency vs. CPS).
Core Enrollment Information
Before attending Core
- Participants will need to have TWO WEEKS in the office and complete the required Core Enrollment Packet as listed below.
- Please refer to the Supervisor Mentor Guide for the most updated information.
Core Time Schedule
- – 10:00am to 5:00pm
- – 8:00am to 4:30pm
- – 8:00am to 4:30pm
- – 8:00am to 4:00pm
- – Return to county office (see Staffing Notes and Friday Return Checklists for each module of training)
- Lunch will be provided / Time: 1hour
- Lunch will be on your own / Time: 1hour, 15 minutes
Attendance & Timeliness: Child Welfare Specialists should plan to be on time and attend each day of Core learning. Tardiness creates a disruption and will be discussed with the Child Welfare Specialists’ supervisor. Absences are approved by the Training Unit on a case by case basis.
Approval of Leave: Any leave requests will be directed to the Child Welfare Specialists’ supervisor for approval. Annual leave should not be approved during Core Learning. Any CW Specialist with planned leave will be required to wait until the next available CW Specialist Core Learning Session. Child Welfare Specialists who miss any portion of Core due to emergencies or other unforeseen circumstances may also have to wait until the next scheduled Core group to attend training.
Inclement Weather: Under no circumstance should CW Specialists feel forced to travel in inclement weather if he/she feels uncomfortable or unsafe in doing so. If CW Specialists choose not to attend due to inclement weather, he/she are expected to contact his/her (their) supervisor to discuss plans to return to the county office or take appropriate leave. If he/she have questions, he/she needs to call the Core Coordinator. Information regarding closing or delays will be listed as soon as a decision is made on our website https://cwtraining.oucpm.org/ in the News & Updates Section.
Make-up Days: The decision to make up days due to emergencies or inclement weather will be made on an individual basis. The decision will be based on the amount of time missed, the content missed, and the CW Specialist’s progress.
The Modules are:
Engagement Skills, Indicators of Abuse and Interviewing Adults and Children
Protection and Prevention in Child Welfare
Children in the System
Adult and Child Interviewing Provisional Certification Testing
Consists of various levels classes required for all newly hired Child Welfare Specialist.
Consists of various levels classes, required based on job assignment.
On the Job Training
On the Job Training occurs during the weeks between Mods 2 and 3 and between Mods 3 and 4.
Specialist Certification Resources
- Supervisor and Mentor Guide
- Child Welfare Specialist Reinstatement Protocol
- Child Welfare Specialist Certification Handbook (For Specialists & Supervisors)
- Child Welfare Track Descriptors
- Certification Document
- Core Training Competencies and Practice Behaviors
- Articles from ACTION for Child Protection
- Core Video: “Ethics in Child Welfare”
- Pre-Core Training Checklist for Child Welfare Staff
Core Activities & Checklists
Some activities and checklists are still in remediation. Please request any documents needed from Child Welfare Training.
- Community Resource Directory
- Expectations of Professional Behavior
- Friday Activity Checklist – Week 1
- Friday Activity Checklist – Week 2
- Friday Activity Checklist – Week 4
- Learning Style Characteristics Exercise
- Meeting Observation Shadow Form
- OJT Week Activities Checklist
- Pre-Mod 4 Activity Checklist – CPS/HL Assignment
- Pre-Mod 4 Activity Checklist – PP/FCS or Comprehensive Assignment
- Pre-Mod 4 Activity Checklist – Resource Assignment
- Quality Standards / Child Welfare Practice Standards
- Quality Standards and Practice Standards – Pre Core Activity
- Resource Parent Interview Guide
- Supervisor and Mentor Evaluation Form
Specialist Certification Grading Sheets
- Adult Adoption Grade Sheet
- Adult CPS Grade Sheet
- Adult FC Grade Sheet
- Adult Hotline Grade Sheet
- Adult PP-FCS Grade Sheet
- AOCS Evaluation – FY19
- Child Adoptions Grade Sheet
- Child CPS Hotline Grade Sheet
- Child FC Grade Sheet
- Child PP-FCS Grade Sheet
The AOCS Examples are still in remediation. Please request any needed AOCS Examples from Child Welfare Training.
- Bell AOCS
- Brooks AOCS
- Fuentes AOCS
- Guess AOCS
- Malone AOCS
- Martin AOCS
- Smith AOCS
Questions about New Specialist Certification?
Contact the New Specialist Certification Coordinator